How are you living life?

How are you living life?
Traveling One

Thursday, April 27, 2017

Don't Blame the Kids!


Why blame millennials?

Raising a millennial I may be a bit biased but lately as he is entering his 20s I began to question all these assumptions of his age group. You see one of the insults I often hear is "oh wait there is no participation trophy you have to earn this" but let's look at that for a second...they didn't  ask for trophies WE bought them for all the kids! At the end of every season someone was in charge of ordering the trophies...an adult, a parent yes WE expected a trophy for our kid!! The kids were just playing for fun, I think we wanted the trophy more than they did! I know some of you reading this will say "nope not me I hated the trophies", so then I ask you, "why did you not say anything?" If you are a parent of a millennial you are the reason for this silly "insult" not them!
Another thing I often hear is that they are slackers and don't work hard...and that my friends is technology! I know I don't have to work as hard as my parents and they didn't have to work as hard as theirs! That is progress, just because the world was so closed to me in the 80's and my children can explore the world from their phones doesn't make them lazy it makes them part of their world! Each generation has seen changes and if this millennial generation can figure out a way to change the world for the better I for one will be cheering them on! They have schooling they can do from home, companies can be ran from their living rooms and families can live remotely and yet still stay in touch! 
I may be alone in saying this but I am envious, I see so many living fearless and doing what I dreamed of, seeing the world and changing it, not when I retired but when I was young and wasn't afraid! 
So for so many of us, let's celebrate what the millennial generation will accomplish not mock them for the world we created for them!

No comments:

Post a Comment