With all of the immigration hooplah that has been in the news I have been thinking about what is the truth about what it takes to become an "American". You see, like most Americans who were born here in the USA, I had no idea what it took to become a citizen. When I taught Government I often would have the students take the US Citizenship test (https://my.uscis.gov/en/prep/test/civics/view) and even at times fill out the Citizenship Application, neither did my students (or myself) think were too much or too complicated. My students in Mabton would often say that it was the cost that often was the biggest obstacle to becoming a citizen. My friends from across the pond would say it is the paperwork and regulations. The part that I never knew until I talked with some friends were that you don't go from new immigrant to citizen. The steps from Visa, Green Card to Citizenship is not a straight shot, no matter how much time I spent with my friend "Google" there wasn't one site I could find that came from an official government site that shows Visa to Citizenship. There were pages that showed Green Card to Citizenship but even then the number of twists and turns would make an average person's head spin!
For many people wanting to come into our country they must apply for one of the 185 US Visas!! 185 different ones!! CRAZY!! I know and love many an immigrant, some legal some not. The part that gets me is that I think we all do. Immigration is not about color or a race. In this new amazing job of mine I have met a number of British immigrants, they are white, well-educated and happen to be married to Engineers. Their stories are in some ways similar and in some ways completely unlike any of my friends who are immigrants from Mexico. They do not experience the social disrespect, discrimination or political backlash that our southern border friends do. They have jobs that they are given Visas by our government to do specific work and although in talking with them I thought "Wow! What a huge benefit for them!" Only to find out that between the pressure of keeping all their documents in proper order is no easy feat. Also families that came over together and apply together are on a tough deadline that if their children turn 21 before the paperwork goes through, that child is no longer part of the process anymore and they must return to their home country. And if a woman is married to a man who is the one with the job that got them into America, she must stay married to him or risk getting deported if she does not have her own Green Card!
So much goes into this, not just an application, a fee and a test! Stories of years of work, taxes paid (with no Social Security), fees for applications and attorneys, fears that something will go wrong and that they will have to go home for family and the door is closed on them here in America. The people I know that want to be in America are hard working, patriotic to this country and want nothing more than to live the American Dream. So I will continue to say that the reason I am an American citizen is because "I was shot out of my mother's womb" and that is the truth. I did nothing, I paid nothing, I risked nothing...it is time to listen to the stories of the people around you, listen to their stories so you will know, truly know, the sacrifices that others go through to become what I at times take for granted, an American.
No comments:
Post a Comment