How are you living life?

How are you living life?
Traveling One

Saturday, February 25, 2017

The myth of Fat and Happy

Ok, for some of you I know the word FAT is an insult and when you hear someone say that they are fat you want to take up defense for them.  The truth is the first step in truly having a healthy lifestyle and mindset is admitting that what you are is fat.    The second step is the hardest and most heartbreaking. It is doing something about it.  You see, I am fat.  I am overweight by every known standard given by any health standard.  I am not just fat I am ... dare I say it?  Obese.  But this isn't the worst part, the worst part is that I have chosen not to do anything about it.  I sneak through the drive through of Zips (paying cash of course so it can't be recorded!), I buy Cheetos (the devil's snack) out of the vending machine at work and I refuse to move...yes move, as in exercise.

All of this spells out the continuation of a lifestyle that I know will only lead to early onset of diabetes, joint problems as well as a litany of other health problems!  I live with a man who runs marathons, works out everyday, and yet...yep!  I sit here and Facebook or watch my mindless tv shows.

So this all to say that I suppose for some that living in a world where your butt bursts out of your pants (Hate to admit it but  happened to me this week at work!) and your body bumps all show up in your clothes, they can be Fat and Happy... I am not happy.  Fat, yes.  Happy, no.
This is where the tough part happens.  I must move.  I must do something!

I have a friend who has just by moving lost 60 pounds in one year (Way to go Carol!), a friend who has already logged in 200 running miles since January and has gone down a size in pants (Way to go Penny!) and even my office counterpart has lost 10 pounds by counting calories (you are my hero Terri) but me?  I am going to step out of my comfort zone and join (UGH) yet another gym.  But this time I am not going to do it alone.  My trusty sidekick of a sister also belongs to the gym and together we are going to make some changes.  I have to have someone who calls me one my slothfulness.

You see, when you are fat you are scared.  Lazy to some but really you are scared.  You are scared to try again only to not succeed.  You are scared to walk into a gym and realize how fat you truly are, you are scared to publicly admit that you can't do it on your own.  That is why so many of us don't do anything.  At least at home we are safe...safe from ourselves really.  People at home love us even when we don't love ourselves.  People at the gym aren't passing judgment.  They are there to get better themselves and are often there to say something complimentary to us!  At home we are safe to eat whatever we want and hate ourselves in private.  At the gym, we quickly realize how hard we have to work to sweat out the fat we have just taken in.

Being fat is painful and the pain we cause ourselves can take years to remedy.

Jami was such an example of having fun while working out...she wasn't afraid to run, box and to move.  I want to be that fearless, I want to face the world and say, "I can do it and I am doing it".  I have previously worn her sweatbands while working out and now will make sure I take them to the gym with me as a constant reminder of who I can be.  Fearless and Fantastic!

I am glad I don't have to do this journey alone, if you want company please let me know.  I refuse to compare myself to others, I refuse to look at others and say "what about me?", I was born with short genes but I don't have to stay fat, I can and must do something about it and then continue to do something about it for the rest of my life. Not for today, not for 2017 but for a lifetime of being happy and healthy!


1 comment:

  1. Oh sweetie... Thank you for caring about yourself. You are a lovely soul and you need to feel happy and BE healthy. Love you!
    BTW if you have friends who are struggling, I have successfully used 'The Game on Diet' which shouldn't be called that 'cuz it's a lifestyle change - you compete on eating, sleeping, good habits, drinking enough water, etc. There are built in break days and meals. The hardest part is actually the record keeping. The book is really well written and funny book. But it makes those lifestyle changes a little competitive (friendly, supportive competition). If you're interested I'll loan you my copy. I don't need to lose a lot, but my pants don't fit and I feel it in my boobs (tenderness) and joints when I gain even ten pounds.

    ReplyDelete